On July 23, during a working visit to Brussels, Denys Shmyhal met with Valdis Dombrovskis, Executive Vice-President of the European Commission.
During the meeting the parties discussed the following issues:
– joint response to coronavirus pandemic;
– the aggression of the Russian Federation in Donbas, the sanctions regime and the deteriorating human rights situation in Crimea, which requires increased attention of the global community;
– Ukraine’s course towards the EU and NATO, as well as structural reforms on this path;
– updating of the EU-Ukraine Association Agreement and intensification of the dialogue regarding the Agreement on Conformity Assessment and Acceptance of Industrial Products;
– macro-financial assistance to Ukraine from European partners.
The Prime Minister of Ukraine told his European counterpart that “the Government of Ukraine is guided by the need to continue reforms aimed at deepening economic integration with the European Union. Apart from that, we have embarked on forming a Roadmap containing over 60 European integration laws, which we plan to put to a vote in Parliament.”
Moreover, Denys Shmyhal stressed the importance of launching a systematic and productive dialogue on the renewal of the EU-Ukraine Deep Free Trade Area, as well as on the broader context of cooperation with regards to mutual access to markets.
“It is critical for Ukraine to intensify the dialogue on concluding the Agreement on Conformity Assessment and Acceptance of Industrial Products. This pursues two main purposes: first, to align our quality infrastructure with European standards; secondly, to facilitate the access of Ukrainian products to the EU market. Experience has shown that access to the EU market opens up other world markets to us,” told the Head of the Ukrainian Government.
For his part, the Executive Vice-President of the European Commission noted that the European Union will continue to support progress of reforms in the sectors of healthcare, education, decentralization, land relations, as well as the reform of customs and fiscal authorities.
Denys Shmyhal invited Valdis Dombrovskis to visit Ukraine and consider the possibility of a joint visit to the eastern regions of Ukraine or to the border line with Crimea.